2018 Swim Drink Fish Vancouver Gala RELEASE
Serena Ryder, David Suzuki and Tom Jackson Wow Guests at 3rd Swim Drink Fish Gala Vancouver
Hosted by Denise Donlon, JUNO Achievement Award recipient, musical performances by Serena Ryder, Tom Jackson, comedy by Charlie Demers and a special surprise tribute to Gord Downie with readings by David Suzuki were the evening's highlights
April 16, 2018 — Vancouver, BC — Swim Drink Fish
Two hundred prominent artists, musicians, philanthropists, and business leaders gathered at the Rosewood Hotel Georgia on April 14th to celebrate the Swim Drink Fish Gala Vancouver, (formerly “Waterkeeper Gala”), with over $250,000 raised, a new record, to ensure a future where everyone in Canada can experience swimmable, drinkable, fishable waters. Four new Swim Drink Fish Ambassadors were named including Wade Davis, Gail Percy Davis, Bruce Langereis and Dr. David Suzuki. Each was welcomed by documentarian and filmmaker Jennifer Baichwal.
Highlights from the gala included:
· A special surprise tribute to Board Member Gord Downie which included powerful musical performances by Serena Ryder and Tom Jackson, including Downie favourites “Ahead by a Century” and “Lake Fever”, and readings of Downie’s own words by David Suzuki. The crowd responded with enthusiastic standing ovations
- Hosted by Order of Canada member and JUNO Achievement award winner, author Denise Donlon.
- Comedy by JUNO-nominee Charlie Demers
- 6-piece live auction hosted by Howard Blank for exciting experience packages, including a Bahamas fishing adventure, private chef-attended dinner Robert F. Kennedy, Jr., and a VIP Edmonton Oilers Hockey experience with Kevin and Karen Percy-Lowe.
All gala proceeds support Swim Drink Fish’s charitable work for swimmable, drinkable, fishable water. Their initiatives include Swim Guide, Watermark Project and Fraser Riverkeeper.
A community of leaders dedicated to swimmable, drinkable, fishable water has been quietly growing, here in B.C. and across Canada. It was so wonderful and inspiring to see this community on full display at our Gala, coming together to celebrate their personal connection and commitment to Canadian waters.” -- Lauren Hornor, Partnership Lead, Swim Drink Fish
“As a long-time supporter of Swim Drink Fish, we were proud to support the Gala and spend an evening with a community of passionate individuals working together to ensure one of our most precious resources is protected for our future generations. At Delta Group, we are inspired by nature and are driven to help create a healthier, more sustainable future. -- Delta Group
- Presenting: Delta Group
- Aqua Sponsor: TELUS
- Gold: Maple Gold Mines, DLTa21, Djavad Mowafaghian Foundation, ai4gi
- Silver: Lassonde,viii Capital, Tejas Capital
- Bronze: Cement Association, Vertex One Fasken
- Contributing: EWS, Granville Island Florist, Hemlock Printing, Peacock & Martin Wine and Spirits, PSAV Presentation Services, Mint Chocolate, Pixsoul Media, Ramshackle Productions, Victory Square.
Social Media Summary
On April 14, 2018, Canadian artists, philanthropists and leaders gathered at the Rosewood Hotel Georgia for the Swim Drink Fish Gala Vancouver. Musical acts Serena Ryder, Tom Jackson and comedy by Charlie Demers, and surprise tribute to Board Member Gord Downie by David Suzuki. Presented by Delta Group and hosted by Order of Canada Member, Denise Donlon, the evening also featured a special surprise tribute to Gord Downie with readings by David Suzuki, and Gord’s music covered by Serena Ryder and Tom Jackson. Chief Philanthropic Officer Howard Blank ended the night in exciting fashion by auctioning off experience packages that included a Bahamas fishing adventure, private dinner with Bobby Kennedy Jr. and a VIP Edmonton Oilers experience with Kevin Lowe. The event succeeded in raising more than $250,000, a new record, with 100% of the proceeds supporting swimmable, drinkable, fishable water.
More info at www.swimdrinkfish.ca
- Fraser Riverkeeper www.fraserriverkeeper.ca
- Swim Drink Fish www.swimdrinkfish.ca
- Swim Guide: www.theswimguide.org
- Watermark Project: www.watermarkproject.ca
About Swim Drink Fish
Swim Drink Fish is a registered charity helping communities prosper by safeguarding swimmable, drinkable, fishable waters. Swim Drink Fish connects 2 million people to their local water bodies, leveraging the power of web technologies to help citizens know and protect them. Through Swim Drink Fish initiatives, community members help to collect recreational water quality data, record local water knowledge, defend the rule of law, and pass on their knowledge to others.
About The Delta Group
The Delta Group has created award-winning residential towers that enhance Vancouver’s urban landscape and provide a superb living environment. The Delta Group is the North American division of the Delta Group of Companies, a prominent global firm with diverse interests in real estate development and investment, management and industry. With offices in Singapore, London, United Kingdom and Vancouver, Canada the Delta Group has built and developed a substantial portfolio of residential and commercial ventures worldwide.
For media inquiries, please contact:
Lauren Hornor, Partnership Lead
Swim Drink Fish